While you may be aware that drug addictions can damage your health and affect your mind, you may not realize that many health problems and deaths are caused by addictions to prescription drugs. The Bangor Daily News recently reported that almost every state is taking steps to monitor prescription drugs because of the high volume of addictions to them. Prescription drugs can be as dangerous as drugs that are not FDA approved.
While most states recognize the problem and are taking steps to solve it, patients with addictions often lack acknowledgment of the severity of their problem. When you are addicted to prescription drugs, you can easily justify a need for the drugs by telling yourself that they are legally prescribed. Nevertheless, this does not make your addiction less real or prevent your mental and physical health from deteriorating. Improperly or excessively using prescription drugs can lead to serious health problems or death.
Patients most commonly become addicted to stimulants, pain killers and central nervous system depressants. It is crucial for patients to recognize an addiction and seek help.
To help determine if you are addicted to prescription drugs, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you getting your prescription filled by multiple physicians because you are afraid one physician will not provide a prescription?
- Do you follow the directions that accompany the medication? Are you taking the correct dose at the proper time increments?
- Is the prescribed dose providing the relief you need?
- Are you increasing the dosage without medical supervision?
- Are you suffering from mood swings or anxiety?
- Are you receiving prescription drugs from a friend or relative instead of a physician?
- Have you unsuccessfully tried to stop using prescription drugs?
If you have answered yes to any of the above, it is important that you receive help. I am a licensed counselor with ten years of experience helping clients recover from addiction and gain control of their lives. Recognizing and treating your addiction will help you develop a healthy, happier you. Doing it alone can be scary. Contact me for help.